How to Change Password in Outlook.com
There are many threads posted in Microsoft and other forums by confused users who don’t know how to change their password in Outlook because they can’t find any option to do so.
What such users don’t realize is that their Outlook.com password is actually the password to their Microsoft account password. To change it, you need to:
- Go to Microsoft account security.
- Log in with your current password if asked to.
- Click the Change my password option under Password security.
- Enter your new password. Make sure the password is at least 8 characters long and random. Alternatively, you can use a long passphrase consisting of multiple random words.
- Click Save.
After you’ve changed your password, you’ll be logged out of all apps that use your Microsoft account.
How to Change Password in Outlook Client Desktop App
The Outlook client desktop apps for Windows and MacOS let you update your password to reflect the changes you’ve made to it by your email administrator or by yourself in Microsoft account security.
However, the Outlook client desktop apps for Windows and MacOS can’t be used to replace your old Outlook password with a new one.
To change your password in the Windows version of Outlook:
- Open the File menu and click Account Settings → Manage Profiles.
- Click Email Accounts.
- Choose your account and click Change.
- Update your password and click Next.
- Confirm the change and close the Account Settings window.
To change your password in the Mac version of Outlook:
- Open Outlook Preferences (⌘ + ,).
- Go to Accounts.
- Select your Outlook account.
- Enter a new password in the Password field.
- Close the Accounts window.
Outlook will save the new password automatically when you close the Accounts window.
💡 Note: If you don’t see the password field, it means you need to Revert to Legacy Outlook (old version).
How to Change Password in Outlook Mobile App
The Outlook mobile app doesn’t provide an option for users to directly update or change their Outlook password, but you can initiate the account reset process to force the app to check your account settings and ask you to enter the correct password if the existing one doesn’t match.
Android and iPhone
- Launch the Outlook app.
- Tap your profile picture in the top-left corner.
- Tap the Settings gear icon in the bottom-left corner.
- Tap your Outlook account.
- Scroll all the way down and tap RESET ACCOUNT.
- Update your password if asked to do so.
How to Reset a Forgotten Outlook Password?
Are you unable to access your inbox because you don’t remember your password anymore? Then you need to learn how to reset a forgotten Outlook password. Don’t worry! The process is simple and won’t take you more than a few minutes from start to finish.
Keep Your Outlook Inbox Secure and Clean
You may not realize it, but data breaches occur on a daily basis. If you use your Outlook email address to access various websites and services, then it’s only a matter of time before it gets leaked, along with your other personal information.
That’s why you should proactively check your address against known data breaches and security incidents. How? By using Clean Email’sPrivacy Monitor feature. This is how it works:
- Go to: https://app.clean.email
- Sign in to the account you want to monitor.
- Select the Privacy Monitor feature from the list of tools in the left pane.
- Check if your address has been found in known breaches.
- Take the recommended action if it has.
The Privacy Monitor feature is included with Clean Email for free, and it’s designed to complement its inbox management features to keep users safe not just from threats that stem from inbox clutter but also from those that are external.
When Privacy Monitor is used together with Unsubscriber (makes it easy to unsubscribe from annoying subscriptions and newsletters), Auto Clean (allows you to create smart email filters that keep your inbox clean without any manual work required), and other features, your inbox will be both secure and clean.
What happens after I change my Outlook password?
You will be signed out of your account across your devices and asked to sign in again.
How often do I need to change my Outlook password?
You should change your password whenever you suspect that it has become compromised. Changing it regularly isn’t necessary.
My Outlook account is blocked. What should I do?
If your account is blocked, then you should reset your password and attempt to log in again. If that doesn’t work, contact Microsoft and ask for help.
Outlook account has been hacked. What should I do?
If your account has been hacked, then you should change your password as soon as you can. If you can’t do that, then contact Microsoft and ask for help.