Why You Should Learn to Delete Yahoo Mail Folders
Yahoo is a popular free email service that offers many useful features and 1 TB (yes, TB!) of storage space for your emails. Many users have been relying on the service for years, but not everyone who uses it on a daily basis knows how to delete folders in Yahoo Mail app.
Those who don’t may struggle to keep their inboxes organized, which can cost them valuable time. The good news is that learning how to delete Yahoo Mail folders is anything but difficult, and we explain everything you need to know in this article.
How to Delete Folders on Yahoo Mail
Just like all other modern email services, Yahoo can be accessed both from the web and using a dedicated smartphone app. But regardless of how you typically access your inbox, the Yahoo Mail delete folders steps you need to follow are largely identical. Best of all, the same steps can also help you if you want to learn how to delete a folder in Gmail.
Delete Yahoo Mail folders on web
To remove folders on web in order to clean up Yahoo, you need to:
- Log in to your account.
- Scroll down until you see the Folders section located in the left pane.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the folder you want to remove.
- Click the small arrow. Select the Delete folder option.
That’s it! The folder should now be deleted. If it isn’t, then it’s most likely not empty. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to quickly delete empty folders in Yahoo Mail that are not empty.
Here’s a straightforward way to delete all emails from folders:
- Open the folder that you want to empty. Then, click All to choose all emails in this folder.
- Click the top checkbox near the Compose button to select all messages. Then, click the Delete button and confirm.
Now that the folder is completely empty, you can repeat the steps above to remove it. Should you decide that you want to recover deleted emails from Yahoo, you can go to the Trash folder and look for them there.
How to delete folders in Yahoo Mail on iPhone
To remove folders on iPhone or any other iOS device:
- Launch the app.
- Next, navigate to your Inbox by tapping the corresponding icon on the bottom panel.
- Tap and hold on the folder you want to remove to select it.
- Tap the Delete option and confirm by tapping OK.
Again, you can only remove folders that are empty. To delete emails in the Yahoo app:
- Navigate to the folder that you want to empty.
- Select all messages.
- Tap the Delete icon.
To create a new folder in Yahoo on iOS:
- Navigate to your inbox.
- Tap Create new folder under your folders.
- Give it a name and confirm.
How to delete folders in Yahoo Mail on Android phone
Follow these instructions:
- Open the app and go to your inbox.
- Select the folder you want to remove by tapping and holding on it.
- Tap Delete and confirm your decision to remove the selected folder.
Keep in mind that you can only delete empty folders. You can follow the instructions in the iOS chapter above to learn how to mass delete folders in Yahoo Mail.
To create a new folder on Android:
- Open your inbox.
- Tap the Create a new folder button under your folders.
- Give it a suitable name and confirm.
Manage Yahoo Emails Better with Clean Email
Clean Email is a third-party email organizer that can help you keep your inbox clean. Unfortunately, there is no option to delete Yahoo custom folders from the app, however, you can still create new folders and move emails to them directly from Clean Email.
The app has much more to offer to Yahoo users. Thanks to its ability to intelligently differentiate between different kinds of messages, Clean Email can automatically group related email into so-called Smart Views, making it easy for you to filter emails in Yahoo and select, for example, all emails with large attachments or automated emails or messages that are older than 1 year, just to give a few examples.
You can then easily apply actions such as Delete, Label, or Move on entire groups of emails at once and tell the app to automatically apply the same actions to all future similar messages.
Here’s how simple it is to move emails to a folder in Yahoo Mail automatically:
- Go to: https://app.clean.email/
- Sign in to your account.
- Select Inbox from the left pane.
- Click on any sender you want to move messages from. Clean Email will automatically select all other emails from the same sender.
- Click the Move icon on the toolbar above your emails.
- Select the folder where you want to move the messages.
- Choose to apply the same action to all Selected and future similar emails.
- Press Move and Create Rule button and you're done!
To delete all emails on Yahoo sent by the same sender:
- Select Inbox from the left pane.
- Click on a sender you want to remove messages from. Mark the checkbox near this sender and the app will automatically select all the messages from the same sender.
- Click the Trash button and confirm your decision to move the selected emails to Trash. Otherwise, you can create a rule to move all future messages from this sender to Trash by choosing the Selected and future similar emails option.
- Press Move to Trash and Create Rule option and the rule is set.
In addition to its smart automation capabilities, the app can also help you get rid of newsletters and promotional emails with its Unsubscriber feature, or it can send them to a special Read Later folder.
Wondering how to close your mail account and create a new one? Check out our guides on how to change Yahoo email address and how to delete Yahoo account.
How to Delete Folders in Yahoo Mail - FAQs
Why can't I delete a folder in Yahoo Mail?
If you can’t delete a folder in Yahoo Mail, then it’s very likely that it is not empty. Simply delete all emails from the folder, and you should be good to go.
How do I manage folders in Yahoo Mail?
Yahoo offers only basic folder management features, such as the ability to create new folders and remove unwanted ones. These features can be used from the web client and from the mobile app.
How do I delete folders in Yahoo Mail?
To delete a folder, you need to select it and choose the delete option, as described in detail in this article. Keep in mind that the folder must be completely empty.
Can you create folders in Yahoo Mail?
You can create them both from the web client and from the mobile app. When following the instructions in this article to create a new folder, make sure to give the new folder a unique name that clearly describes its purpose.