Why You Need Emails Backup
Cyber attackers are getting more clever with their practice by the day. This means that nothing is truly full proof. Your email can be compromised and you could lose important messages. Over the years, many phishing attacks have been carried out successfully, with users losing total access to their accounts. For anyone looking to protect themselves from ever losing important messages, the question of how to back up emails is answered in this article. Again, you could also just want to back up some personal messages as a printable proof of a transaction, evidence, or migrate to a new service provider, etc. The list goes on as there is an exhaustive list of reasons why you need emails backup.
How to Backup Emails in Gmail
Here is how to download messages to your computer on Gmail. Google provides its users with the ability to download all associated data from Google accounts, including Gmail messages, which appear as a single archive. To download all emails from Gmail as an archive, follow the steps below for your emails download:
- Log in to your Gmail account preferably with a desktop computer.
- Click your Profile icon in the top right corner.
- Click “Google Account.”
- Select “Data & personalization” from the list of options.
- Look for “Download, delete or make a plan for your data” section and select the “Download your data” option.
- Ensure “Mail” is selected.
- Under “Mail,” you will find a button telling you how many labels you have selected. Click on this button and select all the labels you want to download.
- Click “Next step” below.
- Now, choose your file type or format you would like to download or whether you want to save it in the cloud.
- Once done, click “Create archive.”
- Wait for messages to download, as this will download all emails to your computer. This is how to back up emails from Gmail on your computer.
How to Backup Yahoo Emails Using Kernel IMAP Backup
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to backup all Yahoo emails to your computer. All methods must be done through third-party applications, and one such is the Kernel IMAP. With this tool, you can backup your emails as PST, EML, MSG, MHT, HTML, DOC, DOCX & PDF formats.
Follow the steps below to backup your Yahoo emails on your computer:
- Launch the app and select Add in the top corner.
- Sign in the desired email address, fill in the corresponding details, and click Add.
- Next, select the Set Filter and Migrate option.
- Select all the desired filters, and click on, “I am Ok”, Start Migration.
- Next, select the file format from the list of given options for saving the selected IMAP server data (PDF, PST, DOCX, etc.)
- Provide a file path to save the backed-up IMAP mailbox on your computer.
- After successful completion, you will get a prompt stating “process completed”. A CSV file containing the credentials of all your backed-up IMAP mailboxes will hence be generated. The same rules apply for Mac Mail backup.
How to Backup Outlook Emails
To backup your Outlook email folders and mail locally on your computer when using IMAP, or Exchange, follow these steps:
- Launch Exchange, select file, and proceed to open and export.
- Select “Import/export”.
- Among the given options in the next step, select “export to a file” and click Next.
- In the next screen “select Outlook Data File (.pst)”, and Next.
- Select the mail folder you would like to back up, and click Next.
- Choose a name, and computer location for your backup and then select Finish.
How to Backup Emails on Mac
Backing up emails on Mac is not different from backing mail in a Windows computer. So, if you are using a Windows or Mac computer, the above guidelines will work for you.
How to Backup Thunderbird Emails
- Launch Thunderbird.
- Select your Inbox or any preferred folder.
- Select the message you want to export. Or press CTRL + A to select all mail on Windows in a particular folder.
- Click the menu button to display the Thunderbird menu.
- Select Save as -> File.
- Select the folder where the messages should be saved and click Save.
Bonus: How Clean Email app can help with email management
While the Clean Email app can't help you to back up your messages, it can simplify inbox management and help you become more productive with managing your emails.
Some Clean Email features include Smart Views, Unsubscriber, Auto Clean, and more. Read more about what Clean Email has to offer here.
Backing up your emails locally can help you protect your messages from unexpected losses. This thorough guide will help you backup your emails across all devices, and secure email service providers. When your mail accounts are compromised through phishing attacks or any form of cyber insecurity, it never hurts to have a backup plan. Backing up your emails will certainly serve you right in all of your future endeavors. When the crisis arrives, you will be glad you had your messages stashed up somewhere.
Follow our guides about email encryption, spoofed emails, and the best fake email generators.
How to Back Up Emails In Various Email Providers - FAQs
How to backup Gmail emails with attachment?
When performing local email backup with Gmail, all attachments are also automatically backed up alongside their email correspondents.
Does iCloud backup emails?
Apple explains in their support page that some things aren’t copied off your phone, because they’re stored elsewhere. This includes data stored in other cloud services such as messages. So no, iCloud doesn’t back up your mail.
How to save emails from Mac mail to hard drive?
1. Launch mail, select one or more mailboxes, then choose Mailbox -> Export Mailbox.
2. Select a file path by choosing an existing folder or create a new one.
3. Mail exports the mailboxes as .mbox packages. If you have previously exported a mailbox, Mail doesn’t overwrite the existing .mbox file; it creates a new .mbox file i.e. My Mailbox 2.mbox.
How to save emails as pdf?
When backing up emails, you get to choose the file type you would like your files to be saved. However, not all email service providers offer the ability to export as pdf.
How to backup Outlook 2010 emails?
Outlook email hasn’t changed much over the years. Methods that work for carrying out a local backup today also work for backing up older Outlook emails. Check out the article to learn how to backup Outlook emails.