What is a Password Strength Checker?
Ever wondered ‘How secure is my password?’ This may be because you know your password is easy, or you have been hacked in the past.
A password strength checker will look out for certain characteristics that may be too easy for hackers to identify, therefore breaching the security of your accounts. For example, the combination of 1234, or qwerty is extremely easy to breach.
To create a strong password, you can use a secure password generator, or use a password security checker.
Both tools will help strengthen the security of your emails, making sure you won’t be pwned!
How To Make A Secure Password
To avoid being hacked, start by creating a secure password.
Here’s how to create one:
- Use 16 characters or more.
- Include letters, numbers, and characters.
- Create a different password for every account.
- Don’t include personal information easily found online. For example, don’t use your pet’s name, address, or phone number.
- Do not include any executive letters or numbers. For example, 123, or qwerty.
If your accounts are hacked, you are at risk:
- Personal information being leaked.
- The theft of money from online bank accounts.
- Identity theft.
- Lack of privacy.
You can check the strength of your credentials using an online password security checker. Or, if you are struggling to create your password, you can use a secure password generator.
Best Password Strength Checkers
Before we list our best password strength checkers, there are a few things to note.
- A single password checker will not protect you completely from hackers. You need to make sure you aren’t saving your passwords or writing them down where someone can find it.
- When inputting your passwords into a checker, type in similar characters. Don’t trust that the website is secure.
- Password strength checkers follow an algorithm, meaning they cannot check every single detail.
- Having good, strong passwords doesn’t mean you will be secure forever. Using a password manager is a safe and effective way to store all passwords.
Price: Free (NordPass recommend buying a subscription to their password manager app.)
NordPass is a popular password checker to use due to its well-known company name. NordPass is the company that created NordVPN which is another great commercial VPN service.
NordPass checks the following:
- Number of characters used
- Upper and lower-case letters
NordPass will give you a green tick if your password is strong and you are given an overview of the composition of your password (this is where you can make changes depending on what is recommended).
NordPass also has a feature that lets you know if your credentials have been previously involved in data breaches.
- Checks the composition of your password allowing you to make positive changes
- Tells you if your credentials have been leaked
- Secure website
- Doesn’t go into detail about the passwords, not much help into HOW you can make the credentials stronger
All Things Secure is a fantastic password strength checker, it goes into detail on why your password is or isn’t strong, and how to make changes by giving you a detailed review.
All Things Secure checks for characters, symbols, numbers, upper and lower case letters. You receive a tick next to each one if your credentials include all qualifying features.
You are given a prediction of how long it can take to crack your passwords. This is given in a number of years, for example, 15 years.
- Detailed review on how to create stronger, more secure credentials
- Gives an estimate of how many years until your credentials may be cracked
- Secure website
- Doesn’t include knowledge of data leaks, or breaches for that password
The Kaspersky Password Strength Meter is a tool built by a popular, well-known name within the realms of antivirus software and computer security. So, you just know this one is going to be within a secure website.
However, this meter is exactly what it says on the tin.
It’s just a meter. You are given a red, orange, or green bar depending on the strength of your passwords.
You are told how many years it will take to breach your credentials, likewise to other tools.
- Well known for cyber security
- Simple and easy tool for knowing the strength of the passwords
- Tells you how long until the credentials are cracked or breached
- Doesn’t go into detail about how to make passwords stronger
It is a great tool to simply check your passwords. An easy tool to understand the composition of your password and how to make it stronger.
This tool rates each feature of your password and gives it a percentage and complexity rating.
The only downside to this tool is that the domain is not secure. Meaning your data is exposed if you input the actual password you use.
- Simple checker
- Gives a detailed rating of each aspect of the password
- Shows a list of requirements for secure credentials
- Doesn’t tell you about data breaches
- No information on how long until the password is cracked
- The tool is not hosted on a secure domain!
|Checks Password Strength |
|Checks Data Breaches |
|Gives Password Strength Feedback |
|Secure Domain |
How The Clean Email App Can Help
If you have made it this far, then you are most likely wanting to know all about how Privacy Guard hacked email checker can help keep your email data secure.
But first, here are a couple of features Clean Email has to optimize your mailbox performance.
The Unsubscriber feature will easily unsubscribe you from any unwanted newsletters or promotional emails.
Also, Auto Clean is a great feature to automate routine email tasks to help clean up your mailbox. You can auto-archive or delete unwanted emails as soon as they hit the inbox.
About Privacy Guard from Clean Email
Privacy Guard is a tool that helps protect email from hackers. If your email data is compromised, you are at risk of others accessing your personal information and important data.
The Privacy Guard feature will tell you if an email account has been compromised during any data breaches or security incidents that may have happened all over the web.
If your email is involved in a data breach, Privacy Guard recommends you change your password and create a multi-factor login straight away. It is then up to you to do this to protect yourself.
To use the Privacy Guard feature:
- Sign in to Clean Email.
- Select Privacy Guard from the left-side panel on the main dashboard.
- Wait for the check to complete.
- Take action if advised.
We always put your privacy and security first, and would never give out any personal information.
Check out our other articles on how the Apple Hide My Email feature works and what a digital footprint is.
Password Checkers - FAQs
How secure is my password?
To create secure passwords use different letters, numbers, and characters. Your passwords should be 16 characters or longer and not include any personal credentials.
How is password strength calculated?
It is calculated on the range of characters used, the length of the character set, and the length of the password.
What is the best password checker?
There are many good checkers; however, Nordpass and All Things Secured are very reliable.
Are password checkers safe?