Smart Unsubscriber Overview
You can use Smart Unsubscriber to prevent marketing emails and newsletters from ever reaching your mailbox. Clean Email will make sure that emails from senders you have chosen to unsubscribe from won't stay in your Inbox – even if the sender does not provide an option to unsubscribe.
How does Unsubscriber work?
Emails will be captured by Unsubscriber and moved to trash. From there you can review what was removed and easily empty your trash from Clean Email or from your mail providers interface. This approach has a number of benefits:
- You can unsubscribe from ANY sender who sends you emails (not all senders provide unsubscribe links.)
- No "grace periods", unsubscribing from the source can take up to 72 hours while Unsubscriber kicks in immediately.
- You can choose to include emails in the digest to see what was captured by Unsubscriber.
- You can easily "re-subscribe" and start getting subscriptions again.
- You can choose to read emails later instead of letting them clutter your Inbox.
Why doesn’t Clean Email actually unsubscribe you from email lists?
While researching this issue we’ve discovered multiple ways in which senders make it harder for users to unsubscribe:
- “Unsubscribe” links require you to log in or confirm your email.
- “Unsubscribe” links lead to a page with obscure options like “Decline receiving marketing communication” making it extremely difficult to automate.
- “Unsubscribe” links requiring you to solve a “CAPTCHA” or go through multiple different steps.
- We’ve also found that true spam emails have "dummy" unsubscribe links – no matter how many times you go through the unsubscribe process, it does nothing. It can even make things worse because when you access those links it lets spammers know your email is active.
In addition to this not being an efficient and guaranteed way to stop those emails, Clean Email would need to download full contents of your emails to find Unsubscribe links – which is against our current Terms of Service and is a privacy concern for many users. Our Unsubscribe feature is fast, easy, and ensures your privacy.
This article did not help? Please contact us
and we will be happy to help.