How to Block Emails on Gmail
To learn how to block someone on Gmail and move all future emails you receive from the address to the Spam folder:
- Open a message from the sender you would like to stop.
- Click on the little arrow next to the reply button and select the “Block [sender’s name]” option.
- A pop-up window will appear and ask you if you want to block the sender’s address and move all future messages from it to the Spam folder. Click on the Block button to confirm.
- A confirmation message should appear, telling you that you’ve successfully blocked the sender.
Should you ever decide to unblock the sender, simply open any message you’ve received from it, click on the little arrow next to the reply button and select the “Unblock [sender’s name]” option. If you can’t find any message from the sender, click on the Settings gear icon and select the Settings option. Go to Filters and Blocked Addresses and select the address you would like to unblock.
The problem with spammers is that they often keep randomly generating new email addresses, forcing users to block each new spam message individually. It probably won’t surprise you much to learn that many people simply give up after a while and live with an inbox full of spam emails.
The good news is that Gmail makes it very easy to create rules to block an entire domain name in a single step:
- Click on the triangle located on the right side of the search bar.
- Type the desired email address under From. Keep in mind that you don’t have to type the entire email address and can enter only the domain name.
- Click on the “Create filter with this search” option, which is located on the bottom-right corner and can be hard to see.
- Check the “Delete it” option to automatically delete all emails from the desired address.
- Click Create filter.
Yahoo gives you the option to block as many as 500 addresses. When you block an email address on Yahoo, all emails from it get automatically moved to the Spam folder, leaving you with a clean inbox. To block an email address on Yahoo:
- Hover the mouse cursor over the settings icon and select the Settings option from the pop-up menu.
- Navigate to the Blocked Addresses category.
- Under Add an address, type the email address you would like to block.
- Click on the Block button.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
To unblock an email address on Yahoo, you simply navigate to the Blocked Addresses category again and choose which sender you want to unblock.
How to Block an Email Address in Outlook
Blocking emails in Outlook is simple:
- Go to your inbox.
- Select any message from a sender you would like to stop.
- Click on the down arrow next to the forward button.
- Select the “Block [sender’s name] option.”
- Confirm your choice by clicking on the OK button.
If you would like to have more control over how Outlook.com handles incoming messages, open the Settings menu by clicking on the settings icon and selecting the View full settings option. There, you can create complex rules to tell Outlook how to handle incoming messages. For example, you can block all emails coming from a certain domain, or you can automatically move all marketing emails to a separate folder to separate them from important personal and business emails.
How to Block an Email Address in ProtonMail
Even though one of the most secure providers ProtonMail uses a smart spam detection system to automatically block spam email messages, sometimes junk emails get through anyway. When that happens, the best defense is to block the sender using ProtonMail’s filters.
- Go to your ProtonMail inbox and click on the Settings option located in the top-right corner.
- From the menu on the left, select the option entitled Filters. There, you can mark specific email addresses as spam.
- Type the sender's address you would like to stop into the filed under the Blacklist section.
- Click on the Save button.
You can quickly move email addresses from the Blacklist to the Whitelist using the Switch button, which is located next to the Delete button on the email address listing.
How to Block an Email Address in iCloud Mail
Is your iCloud Mail address attracting spam email messages? Then you need to learn how to block malicious senders dead in their tracks using email filters, automatically filtering incoming messages in order to avoid having to do so manually later.
To set up rules to block email addresses in iCloud Mail:
- Log in to your iCloud Mail inbox.
- Click the settings gear icon in the sidebar and choose Rules.
- Click Add a Rule and specify the filtering conditions.
- When finished, click Done to activate the rule.
You can also block an email address in iCloud Mail by forwarding it to Apple’s spam department:
- Log in to your iCloud Mail inbox.
- Open the spam message.
- Forward it to email@example.com.
How to Block an Email Address in Yandex Mail
Yandex Mail does a lot to stop unsolicited messages from entering your inbox. It uses a sophisticated anti-spam service that leverages machine learning technology to learn from user-submitted spam complaints in order to accurately recognize spam emails. When it does determine that a message is likely spam, it puts it in the Spam folder, where it stays for 10 days before it’s automatically deleted.
In addition to relying solely on the Yandex Mail anti-spam service, users can also stop senders directly by adding them to the blacklist. To block an email address in Yandex Mail:
- Go to your Yandex Mail inbox and click the settings gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- Select the Message filters option.
- Scroll down to the Blacklist section in the lower-left corner of the screen.
- Enter the address and click Add.
Yandex Mail imposes a couple of blacklist restrictions that you should keep in mind when blocking email addresses. You can only block full email address like firstname.lastname@example.org. All partial mail addresses (@domain.com) are simply ignored. When you add an email address to your blacklist, Yandex Mail doesn’t delete older messages sent to you from the email address. To do that, you need an inbox organizer like Clean Email (more about it in the last chapter of this article). Finally, you can’t block more than 1,000 email addresses.
How to Block an Email Address in AOL
To protect your account, AOL is automatically scanning and filtering incoming messages, but any automatic anti-spam solution is guaranteed to make a mistake from time to time. If you're getting overwhelmed by spam messages, you need to take spam filtering into your own hands and proactively block spam email addresses by following the steps below:
- Log in to your AOL Mail account.
- Click on your username and select Options.
- Go to Mail Settings and click on the Spam Settings tab.
- There, enter the username or address you want to be blocked.
- Click the Plus icon.
- Click Save Settings.
To remove a blocked email address, simply hover your mouse cursor over it and click the X icon. Alternatively, you can also manage incoming emails using email filters. AOL Mail lets you create up to 1,000 filters, and you can use them to automatically delete emails from certain senders, mark messages as read, and so on. To update your filter settings:
- Log in to your AOL Mail account.
- Click on your username and select Options.
- Choose Mail Settings and go to Filters and Alerts.
- Select the Create filter option and enter your filter's conditions and actions.
- Click Save to activate the filter.
How to Block an Email Address in Zoho Mail
You can use email filters in Zoho Mail to block an email address and automatically delete all emails sent from it. Additionally, email filters can help you automate certain email management tasks, such as labeling or forwarding emails. To create an email filter in Zoho Mail:
- Log in to your Zoho Mail account.
- Click the settings gear icon.
- Navigate to the Filters section.
- Open the Outgoing/ Incoming Emails Filter tab.
- Click on New Filter.
- Enter the required details in the Create Filter pop-up window.
- Click Save.
You can also create an email filter from an existing email:
- Open the message on which you want to base the new filter.
- In the top right corner of the mail view pane, click the small triangle icon to display more actions.
- Select Add To and then choose Filters.
- The familiar Create Filter pop-up window will appear, allowing you to customize the new filter.
- Click Save to activate it.
How to Block an Email Address in GMX
GMX has a fairly effective spam filter that protects users from annoying and potentially dangerous spam messages. Users can also block any mail account they want to stop receiving emails from it. We recommend you take advantage of this option to block clever spammers that have managed to get around the GMX spam filter. Follow these steps to block an email address in GMX:
- Sing in to your GMX account.
- Click the settings gear icon and select More email settings.
- Click Preventing junk mail ad select Safe and blocked sender.
- Click the Blocked Senders option and enter the address of the sender you want blocked.
- Click the Add to list option to block the sender from sending further emails to your account.
How to Block an Email Address in Mail.com
You can block any email address in Mail.com using the blacklist. All addresses added to it are automatically moved to the Spam folder. The Mail.com blacklist supports not only complete email addresses (email@example.com), but also domain names (domain.com). When you add a domain name to the blacklist, Mail.com automatically blocks all email addresses associated with it. To manage the blacklist:
- Log in to your Mail.com inbox.
- Click the Settings option located at the bottom of the left panel.
- Select Blacklist and enter the sender's address or domain name.
- Click Save to blacklist it.
How Clean Email Can Prevent Unwanted Emails
As you can see, major email service providers give you a range of options how to block email addresses and stop spam. However, there are many services that don’t offer nearly the same range of options as Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, and ProtonMail do.
Even if your email service of choice doesn’t allow you to easily block unwanted emails, you can always apply any action to new emails coming to your mailbox without any manual work with Clean Email’s automation features.
For example, you can automatically delete all marketing emails, move notifications from Twitter to a separate folder, or mark all new messages from a certain sender as read.
To learn more about Clean Email and all the different ways how it can help you organize, group, remove, label, and archive your emails, visit its Help section and sign up for free. Clean Email has web version, app for iPhone and Android.
Follow our guides on how to block emails on Android and how to block an email on iPhone.
Most major email services make it possible to block unwanted email messages and prevent them from reaching your inbox, with some services making email blocking easier than others. But regardless of what email service you use, you can always organize all of your emails with a few clicks and apply complex automation rules just as easily with Clean Email.
How to Block an Email Address - FAQs
Can you block someone’s email address?
Yes, you can block someone’s email address! The process of blocking an email address is different depending on what type of email you have. Read the above sections to learn how to block email addresses in Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, ProtonMail, iCloud Mail, Yandex Mail, AOL, Zoho Mail, GMX, and Mail.com.
Why do I still get emails from a blocked sender?
Sometimes spammers utilize multiple email addresses to send spam to your folder. You might stop one sender but have not yet blocked the others. Finding and blocking the root email address should cut off all communication with a specific sender.
Do blocked emails bounce back to sender?
Though blocking an email does not necessarily bounce it back to the sender, that is a possibility depending on the mail service you use.
How do you let a sender know they are blocked?
If you add a sender to your blocked senders list, they will not be notified that you blocked them. However, if you would like to notify them, the most common way to do this is to send a message to the sender describing that you plan to block them and why.
How do I block someone from emailing me?
As previously described, blocking senders varies depending on the email service you use. Read the sections above to learn how to block someone through your specific email inbox.