Why Blocking AOL Emails Is Important
If you don’t know how to block an email address on AOL, then we’re willing to bet that you spend a lot of time every day manually deleting AOL emails just to keep your inbox usable and important messages from disappearing under a huge pile of trash.
The time you spend managing your inbox could be much better used on other tasks, which is why it’s such a good idea to learn how to block emails on AOL to keep them from reaching your inbox in the first place.
Don’t worry: It’s not difficult to block emails on AOL, and you certainly don’t need any expert-level skills or knowledge. You just need to follow our step-by-step instructions.
How to Block Emails on AOL in a Web Browser
One of the best ways to ensure you don’t get future messages from a specific sender is to mark an email from the sender as spam. Here’s how:
- Open your web browser of choice and go to: https://mail.aol.com/
- Log in with your email address and password if asked to do so.
- Select any message from the sender whose emails you want to block by clicking an empty checkbox near the message.
- Click Mark as spam button on the top bar.
- You will be asked if you'd like to stop getting emails from this sender with an option to Report as Spam or Unsubscribe. Choose the action that suits best for this specific email sender.
In addition to marking emails as spam, there’s one additional way how to block emails on AOL you should know about, and it involves the creation of email filters:
- Go to Options → Mail Settings.
- Look for the Block Senders option and choose.
- Enter the username or email address you want to block and add it to the block list.
- Click the Save Settings button.
This is also how to block an email on Yahoo and many other popular email services. Just know that it can be rather time-consuming to manually create email filters, which is why third-party apps like Clean Email can be so handy (more about it later in this article).
How to Block Emails on AOL in a Mobile App
Blocking emails on AOL using the AOL mobile app is just as easy as blocking them from the web client. Here’s how to block spam email on Android and iOS:
- Launch the app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap an email from a sender whose email messages you want to block.
- Tap the hamburger menu at the bottom-right of the screen.
- Select the Mark as Spam option.
- Repeat the process for other senders if you want to.
We highly recommend you take the time to mark each and every unwanted email message as spam as soon as you receive it to prevent them from piling up in your inbox. The more unwanted messages you leave in your inbox, the higher the chance of you missing truly important emails becomes.
How to Block Emails from All Senders Except for Contacts
There are many AOL users who use the email service just to communicate with a small handful of known contacts, such as their friends, family members, or work colleagues. If you count yourself among them, then you should consider blocking emails from all senders except for contacts. Fortunately, AOL makes this very straightforward:
- Open your mailbox.
- Go to Options → Mail Settings → Block Senders.
- Check the Only accept messages from people in your contacts option.
- Click Save Settings.
If you’re wondering whether it’s possible to block emails on iCloud unless they come from known contacts, then the answer is: no, it’s not possible.
How to Block Images in Emails on AOL
By blocking images in emails on AOL, you can save precious storage space and better protect yourself from certain email threats, such as those involving malicious links disguised as innocent background images. Follow the steps below to block images in emails on AOL:
- Open your email account.
- Go to Options → Mail Settings → General.
- Select the Hide images in mail from unknown senders option in the Reading section.
- Click Save Settings.
Are you also interested in learning how to block emails on Outlook? Then we suggest you take the time to learn how to block automatic picture downloads in email messages as well.
How to Block Emails on AOL Using Third-Party Apps
Does email play an important role in your life? If so, then you will appreciate the convenience of a third-party inbox cleaner app like Clean Email.
With Clean Email, you can quickly and effortlessly block AOL emails by creating intelligent filters that reflect the way you use your inbox. Just take a look at how easy it is to block all emails sent from a specific domain:
- Go to Inbox or All Mail smart view in Clean Email.
- In the Search mail field type the domain name you want to block. Like this: @domain.com
- Click on the Select All button (this is important!).
- Click on Block action.
In addition to blocking unwanted senders, Clean Email can unsubscribe you from marketing newsletters, keep your inbox organized by automatically applying specific actions to new emails, or moving less important messages out of your inbox so that you have time to catch up with them later.
Clean Email is 100% secure and designed with your privacy in mind. It works with all major email services, including AOL, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, and others.
How to Protect Your AOL from Suspicious Emails
Every day, spammers and other cybercriminals send out a massive quantity of malicious emails, hoping to get their hands of sensitive information or trick their targets into downloading malware or clicking on a dangerous link. Since malicious emails can be difficult to recognize, you need to protect yourself by doing the following:
- Proactively clean your AOL inbox from unwanted messages
- Block all spam emails
- Never reply to any suspicious email
- Use strong, unique passwords for all your accounts
- Scan all downloaded attachments using reliable anti-malware software
Learning how to block emails on AOL is just as easy as learning how to unsubscribe from emails that are competing for your attention without providing any value. To make your life easier, you can use a third-party inbox cleaner app like Clean Email, which works the same across all major email services, so you don’t have to learn how to block someone on Gmail if you already know how to block someone on AOL.
How to Block Emails on AOL - FAQs
When you block someone on AOL email, do they know?
No, when you decide to block someone on AOL email, the blocked person isn’t notified in any way. Of course, they might figure out what happened after a while, but most spammers simply move on to easier targets.
How do I block AOL email on my iPhone?
To block an AOL email on your iPhone, you need to mark it as spam. To do that, tap the hamburger menu at the bottom-right of the screen and select the Mark as Spam option.
Why am I getting so many spam emails on AOL?
It’s possible that you’re getting a lot of spam messages on your AOL because your email address is publicly visible. If that’s the case, consider hiding it from view or at least obfuscating it.
Where is the spam folder in AOL Mail?
The AOL Mail spam folder can be accessed from the left pane when using the web version of AOL. If you’re using the mobile, then you need to swipe from the left to reveal the folder pane.