The Art of Learning how to Block Email on Mac Mail
Mac computers have captured worldwide attention for their sleek look, powerful hardware specifications, and security. Although Macs are generally less vulnerable to cyber attacks, that does not make them immune to spam email.
When it comes to iPhones, Apple makes it simple to prevent someone from contacting or texting you. When it comes to Mail, however, things are not as straightforward. Thus, many people question how to block an email address on Mac across different email platforms as email spamming has reached frightening levels over the last few years.
How to Block Emails in Apple Mail
Knowing how to block emails on Mac can be immensely therapeutic. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to understand how to block email on Mac Mail if you use its default email client, Apple Mail.
If you are a macOS Big Sur or Monterey user, follow these steps to know how to block email on Mac Mail:
- First, open a message from the certain sender.
- Then, drag your mouse or trackpad over their name in the email's header.
- Click on the arrow that appears at the end of their name to prompt a drop-down menu.
- Finally, Select “Block Contact.”
If you are using older macOS versions, the steps can be a bit complicated, but this will show you how to block email on Mac Mail:
- On your Mac, open the Mail application.
- In the top menu bar, select "Mail."
- Then, from the drop-down menu, select "Preferences..."
- On the top-right of the pop-up window, click the "Rules" tab.
- Then, on the right side, select the "Add rule" button.
- When you finish, click the blue "OK" button at the bottom-right corner. That’s it!
Follow our guide on how the iCloud block email feature works.
How to Block Emails on Mac If You Use Gmail
If you are using Gmail, here is how to block emails on Gmail when using a Mac and move all future messages you receive from the address to the Spam folder:
- Start by opening a message from the unwanted sender.
- Select the “Block [sender's name]” option from the small arrow next to the reply button.
- Then, a pop-up window will appear, asking if you want to block the sender's address and send all future communications from that address to the Spam folder. To confirm, click the Block button.
- Afterward, you should receive a confirmation message stating that you have effectively blocked the sender.
If you ever want to unblock the sender, you may reopen any message you have received from them, click the small arrow next to the reply button, and click "Unblock."
How to Block Emails on Mac if You Use Outlook
If you are using Outlook, here are a few simple steps on how to block emails on Outlook when using a Mac:
- To begin, open your email.
- Then, select any communication from the unwanted sender.
- Next to the forward button, click the down arrow.
- Then, choose the option to "Block [sender's name]."
- Finally, click the “OK” button to confirm your decision.
Furthermore, open the Settings menu by clicking on the Settings icon and selecting the View complete settings option if you want more control over how Outlook manages incoming messages. You can use this section to define complicated rules that inform Outlook how you would like it to handle incoming messages.
How to Block Emails on Mac with Clean Email
Today, several inbox cleaners allow you to block unwanted emails on Mac, and ultimately, may help you manage your emails better. But why take the risk of partnering with someone else when you can with Clean Email? This is a modern inbox cleaner and email organizer for Mac that can help you manage your mailbox better.
With that, here are the steps on how to block unwanted emails on Mac using Clean Email:
- In the app’s dashboard, go to the Inbox or All Mail smart view.
- Type "@domain.com" in the Search mail field, but without the quotes.
- Then, click the "Select All" option.
- Finally, block the activity by clicking on it.
Aside from this, Clean Email boasts the following features to optimize your email needs:
- Unsubscriber: Ensures that unwanted newsletters and promotional emails don’t get delivered to your mailbox anymore.
- Read Later: This feature allows you to receive a daily overview of messages in your ‘Read Later' folder.
- Quick Clean: Combines emails from across your mailbox into a screen with simple-to-select actions to apply, allowing you to clean your Inbox quickly.
- Smart Views: Instead of focusing on individual emails, you may segment your mailbox using rules and filters.
- Auto Clean: Removes, archives, transfers, or labels emails following the rules you establish.
Furthermore, know that your data is secure since Clean Email is committed to security and privacy; your data will never be shared, given away, sold, analyzed, "anonymized," or otherwise used for any reason other than its essential functionality.
What Blocking Cannot Help With
While knowing how to block emails on Mac can be beneficial, there are some things that you cannot block the conventional way. For one thing, blocking someone does not erase all of their prior messages. Furthermore, you cannot block an individual; instead, you can only block the email address they use. As a result, they can always employ or create a new one to spam you.
Moreover, most email apps allow you to block unwanted emails on Mac from a specific address. Unfortunately, when it comes to spam, blocking email from a sender is worthless. This issue is not utterly hopeless, though. You can learn how to unsubscribe from emails.
Clean Email's Unsubscriber, as previously indicated, sends unsubscribe petitions on your behalf and disables mailing lists and senders who refuse to comply and collaborate, allowing you to unsubscribe from unwanted email lists that lack an Unsubscribe link.
Several prominent email providers allow you to block unwanted emails on your Mac and prevent them from reaching your inbox; however, some services make this process more difficult than others. Clean Email, however, can arrange all of your emails with a few clicks and apply complicated automation rules just as effortlessly regardless of the email service you use.
For more insights, check out our articles on how to block emails on iPhone and how to block emails on Android.
How to Block Emails on Mac - FAQs
How do I block unwanted emails on my Mac?
You can take different steps to block unwanted emails on Mac, depending on what type of email you have. Generally, you can go to your inbox, selecting a message from the unwanted sender, prompting a drop-down box, and clicking on the “Block [sender’s name].” option.
How do I permanently block an email address?
The process of blocking an email address is also different depending on what type of email you have. Generally, you can block unwanted emails on Mac permanently by going to your inbox, typing “@domain.com” but without quotes, in the Search mail field, clicking on the “Select All” button, and clicking on the Block action.
How do you block someone on Mac?
The answer to how to block emails on Mac is relatively simple; you will only need to create and set up a rule that deletes those messages. Then, the program will delete unwanted emails immediately before they even reach your inbox.
Why am I still getting emails from blocked senders Apple?
Spammers may send spam to your folder using various email accounts; thus, you might have blocked one sender but not the others. By locating and blocking the root email address, you can cut off all communication with a specific sender.