How to Clear Mail Storage on Mac
Mail storage is consumed by various attachments that come with your emails. These attachments range from sent documents and other files to signatures from subscribed company newsletters. Once you open an attachment on your Mac, it automatically gets downloaded on your computer. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to delete mail storage on Mac.
- Attachments are one of the biggest storage consumers. To delete, simply navigate to messages with attachments, click Menu and select Remove attachment. Alternatively, you can simply delete the email, and proceed to your download directory in the library on your Mac to delete downloaded attachments. If you are having trouble finding emails with attachment, simply click the View menu, and then select View by attachments. This will sort out all messages with attachments.
- With the latest macOS (including macOS 12 Monterey), you can also use the optimize feature to delete attachments. Click on the Apple menu and select About this Mac. Click the Storage tab and then select Manage -> click on Mail in the left-hand sidebar. Underneath, you’ll find out how much space attachments are occupying, select and delete all attachments you no longer need.
How to Change Default Mail App on Mac
Here is how to change default mail app on Mac:
- Launch the application.
- Choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
- Select General.
- Choose your preferred email application from the Default email reader pop-up menu.
How to Stop Mail App From Popping Up on Mac
Some users complain that their Mac email app keeps popping up on split screens. This can be a daunting experience. Here is how to stop the app from popping up:
- Launch the application.
- From the menu bar select Mail and Preferences...
- Click the General tab.
- Deselect the Prefer opening messages in Split View when in full screen box and you are done.
How to Delete Mail App on Mac
The mail app on Mac is a system application that makes it near impossible to be deleted for a non-tech-savvy user. However, it is not impossible. You can use a third-party app, or do it manually. The former will save you time and stress.
How to delete Mail app on Mac using third-party apps
There is quite a number of third-party apps out there. Trust, however, is what you should always look out for when looking for one to use, as your privacy can be compromised by using the wrong app. Mac Cleaner is quite common among Mac users and offers this service. Simply proceed to their website and follow their instructions.
How to delete Mail app on Mac manually
It is a tedious process, and as such should only be your last resort. Here are the detailed instructions:
Step 1: disable the system integrity protection (SIP). This is a mechanism enabled with versions macOS 10.12 and above - it makes it impossible for users to remove any system application on your Mac. To disable, follow the steps below:
- Enter Recovery Mode.
- Click the Utilities and head to the Terminal.
- Type the code:
csrutil disableinto the Terminal and press your Enter key.
This should disable the SIP. You can safely restart your computer, and proceed to the next step.
- Boot your Mac.
- Sign in as the administrator.
- Launch the Terminal.
- Type the code:
cd/Applications/in the Terminal and press Enter. This will show you a directory of applications.
- Type the code:
sudo rm –rf Mail.app/and press Enter.
This will successfully remove the app from your computer. Once done, proceed to re-enable the SIP by reverse-engineering the steps on step 1.
How To Delete Mail Storage On Mac Using Clean Email App
Clean Email is a Google verified third-party app that takes away the stress of having to manually clean your Mac Mail storage. Some of its features include:
- Unsubscriber: It lets you unsubscribe from annoying newsletters and spam messages that are doing nothing but drain your email storage.
- Quick Clean: This feature allows you to combine emails from all over your mailbox into a screen with easy-to-select actions to be applied, so you can clean your Inbox the fastest way.
- Auto Clean: For anyone with less time on their hands in manually selecting irrelevant messages to delete, this email organizer for Mac will do it automatically for you. The Auto Clean feature uses an auto-matching rule that allows you to match all emails that fit a category, and take an action automatically even while you sleep. It could be to move, delete multiple emails on Mac, achieve, or label any present or incoming message that matches the set rule. Learn more about Clean Email’s features and how it can help you declutter your email inbox.
How to Clear Mail Storage on Mac - FAQs
Does mail take up storage on Mac?
Yes. Mail chops up a considerable amount of storage from your Mac. The amount of space it can take up depends entirely on the type and number of emails you receive. If you are subscribed to a bunch of newsletters, then it becomes considerably large. Also, the size of the attachment that accompanies the messages you receive can also affect the chopped up storage.
Why does mail take up so much storage on Mac?
Whenever you receive an attachment through email, it is automatically saved on your Mac when you open it. This attachment can be documents, video files, and even the logo and signature images attached to marketing newsletters.
Can I delete the mail app on my Mac?
Ideally, Apple doesn't allow you to delete the Mail app. However, you can either use a third-party app to have it uninstalled, or do so by disabling the system integrity protection. Refer to the article to learn how.
How do I permanently delete mail from my Mac?
You can permanently delete mail from your Mac directly from your mailbox. Either by using the Clean Email inbox cleaner or doing so manually. Simply, select the messages you want to delete and trash. Afterward, click on the trash folder and select Empty trash.