Why Sort Your Gmail Emails By Size
Emails with large attachments can quickly eat up your Gmail inbox space. Over time, you may no longer need these attachments, but the emails become buried in a growing inbox and are hard to find. The best practice: sort Gmail by file size to uncover your biggest storage hogs and delete them once and for all.
Learning how to sort Gmail by size is easy and simple to do. It follows a similar process you use to sort Gmail by sender or sort Gmail by date, subject, or name.
And, as with any time you need to sort emails in Gmail, you can also enlist the help of tools like Clean Email for faster, automatic cleanup. Let’s look at the specific steps to take.
How to Sort Gmail By Size
If you aren’t using any third-party tools like Clean Email, you can sort emails directly in your inbox using the Search Mail feature.
- Log into your Gmail account and go to your inbox.
- Ensure the Primary tab is selected (this is your main inbox).
- Go to the Search Mail bar and click the dropdown arrow to open the filter options.
- Using the Size option, select Greater Than or Less Than, then specify the file size. If you’re looking for large attachments, you will likely use the Greater Than option.
- Click the blue Search button.
- The results will automatically be displayed.
There are lots of other ways to sort mail in Gmail. For additional reference, check out our article on how to sort Gmail by unread emails.
Sort Gmail by Size: Looking for Large Files
Large files can take up valuable space in your Gmail account. While sometimes you may need to keep these files, other times you can get rid of them and clear up precious space.
Finding the large files in your inbox can take some searching. If you have an idea as to the file size you’d like to find, you can use a simple search function to filter only those emails.
- Log into your Gmail account and open your inbox.
- Go to the Search Mail bar and type Size: [file size]. For example, if you want to find all emails greater than 5 MB, you can type the following: size:5000000. The size you type will be in bytes.
- Another option is to search for a range of file sizes using a function. Using the search bar, you can type the following: larger_than:XMB smaller_than:YMB. In this function, you can replace the X and Y with the desired number range.
- Click Enter.
Receiving large email files takes no effort on your part. If you need to send emails with a large attachment, see our guide on how to send large files via email.
Sort Gmail Messages by Size with Clean Email
If you’re looking for a faster way to sort email messages by size, a third-party tool like Clean Email is highly valuable. This email sorting app integrates with your Gmail account and allows for greater flexibility as to how your email messages are displayed.
The app’s user-friendly interface makes it easy to learn how to sort Gmail by size. Here’s a quick step-by-step tutorial:
- In Clean Email, start typing in the search bar and you will see results automatically populate as you type.
- Use the Slide Bar to choose a file size range.
- Open the All Filters option to further refine your search, such as excluding emails from specific senders.
As you input changes to your filters, you will see the results change without taking any further action.
About Clean Email
You can define parameters that will automatically sort Gmail by size or other factors. Once you set up these parameters, your inbox works on autopilot to help you check email faster, organize your incoming messages, and even remove messages you’re not interested in reading.
The app offers the Smart Views feature, which automatically groups similar types of emails together. You can decide what these groups look and function like. This allows you to go through your inbox faster and never miss an important message. It will also help you see emails with files attached, which can be especially helpful when you need Gmail to sort by size.
The tool also offers Unsubscriber and Auto Clean features to tidy up your inbox without spending time deleting individual emails. Unsubscribe from unwanted emails in bulk and automatically send specific emails to a Read Later folder so they don’t clutter up your main inbox.
Most importantly, Clean Email takes user privacy as seriously as you do. The technology behind the tool analyzes senders and subject lines, never the content within the email or attachments. As a result, you can expect a neater, tidier inbox without the hassle of managing it manually and all the peace of mind that your data is safe.
FAQs on How to Sort Gmail by Size
Can I sort my Gmail by size?
Use the search mail bar at the top of your inbox. Type in the file size if you know it or use the dropdown arrow to locate the filter option. You can also use a tool like Clean Email to set up an automatic sort-by-size option.
How do I filter emails by size?
In Gmail, you can use the search mail bar to input the file size. Type the following function: has:attachment size: [file size] in the bar, specifying it in MB. If you want to simplify how to sort mail, you can use a tool like Clean Email that makes it easy to filter and sort email.
How do I delete large emails in Gmail?
You can sort Gmail emails by size using the search mail bar. Click the dropdown arrow in the bar, then use the Size option to search for emails greater than a specific file size. A faster way to do this is to use a tool like Clean Email that can sort emails automatically based on predefined parameters.