What Does Whitelist Mean?
You may be wondering what the whitelist meaning is at all, but that doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from knowing how to whitelist an email. Whitelisting an email involves telling your email provider that you want emails from that sender to be allowed into your inbox rather than being filtered into spam.
It’s therefore important to understand what is whitelist in order to be able to avoid the problem of having emails removed unnecessarily and forcing you to look through spam for potentially important communications. A whitelist email address will always be allowed into your inbox, ensuring that your email account is working for you as much as possible.
Not being able to whitelist email senders renders you unable to get notifications when you receive important emails that you need to read. Whatever email provider you use, it’s crucial to understand how to whitelist an email in order to make sure that nothing falls through the cracks.
How to Whitelist an Email in Gmail
If you’re using Gmail as your email provider, it’s easy to set things up so that a given sender is whitelisted for all future communications. The Gmail whitelist process can be done quickly through the web client:
- Click the settings button (in the top-right corner of the screen), then select “Settings” from the resulting drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the tab labeled “Filtered and Blocked Addresses” to access information about your existing filters.
- Select “Create a new filter” and enter the emails or domains you want to whitelist.
To whitelist a single email address, for example, type the entire address. On the other hand, if you’re trying to whitelist every sender from a certain domain, type the domain alone, such as “@yahoo.com”. This will tell Gmail to approve every message from a Yahoo sender.
- Click “Create filter” to approve the new filter, then mark “Never send to Spam” to whitelist every email within the filter. You can also choose to Star these emails, apply a given label, or mark them as important.
Whitelisting in Gmail mobile app
- Open the Gmail application.
- Navigate to Spam or Junk Folder.
- Click on the message you wish to view.
- Select the option "Report not spam".
- You will now receive messages from this sender as normal.
How to Whitelist an Email in Outlook
Whitelisting a domain or specific email address in Outlook.com is just as easy and works by adding the address or domain in question to a group called “safe senders”. An address that has been added to safe senders will be pushed to your inbox regardless of your spam filters. To add an address or domain to safe senders:
- Click on “Settings”, then “View all Outlook settings”.
- Go to “Junk email”, then choose “Safe senders and domains” or “Safe mailing lists” to select the domain or email you want to whitelist.
- Enter the domain name or email address you wish to add to Safe senders. Make sure to include the @ character for domain names in order to only whitelist emails with the exact string of characters you entered (and nothing more).
Alternatively, you can simply add an individual email address that has sent you a message to your Outlook Contacts. Though they lead to the same result, this method is quicker and more efficient than manually entering information.
Whitelisting in Outlook mobile app
- Open Outlook Mobile App.
- Click on the message that you want to whitelist.
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click "Move to focused inbox".
- When the pop up screen comes up, click "Move this and all future messages".
How to Whitelist an Email in Yahoo Mail
If you want to move a sender or domain name to your whitelist Yahoo Mail, the process is even easier than it is in the other service providers mentioned above.
As long as you have already received at least one message from the address in question, all you have to do is highlight that message in the Bulk folder and mark it as Not Spam. Once you have identified a single message from a given sender, the Yahoo Mail spam filters will automatically allow future messages from the same address into your inbox.
On the other hand, if the person you’re attempting to whitelist hasn’t yet sent you a message, you’ll need to go through the following steps to whitelist the address:
- Navigate to "Settings" icon, then click "More Settings" from the Yahoo Mail menu.
- Select "Filters" and hit "Add" to enter information about the domain name or sender.
- From here, you can enter any string of text you want to whitelist in future emails. This could be anything from an email address or domain name to something you expect to be in the body of the message.
Yahoo Mail makes it much easier to whitelist a domain name or email sender once they’ve already sent a message to you that’s located in your Bulk folder, so consider asking the person you’re trying to whitelist to send you a test email in advance.
Whitelisting in Yahoo Mail mobile app
- Open Yahoo Mail Mobile App.
- Click on the sidebar.
- Click on the Spam folder.
- Find the email you wish to whitelist.
- Click "Move" and then click "Inbox".
How to Whitelist an Email Address in AOL
Many people looking for email whitelisting instructions for AOL are confused by the fact that AOL doesn’t have a traditional email whitelist. Instead, it considers all mail addresses a user has in his or her address book to be trustworthy. This means that the contact list in AOL essentially serves the same purpose as Gmail whitelist and Outlook whitelist.
Here are step-by-step instructions for whitelisting an email address in AOL:
- Log in to your AOL account.
- Open Contacts from the left navigation pane.
- Click the New Contact icon and enter the required information.
- Click the Add Contact button located at the bottom.
As you can see, the entire process is straightforward, and deleting existing contacts is similarly easy. All you need to do is select the contact you want to delete and click the Delete button at the top of the page. If you want to block the deleted contact, you need to go to Options -> Mail Settings -> Spam Settings. There, you can add the contact to your blacklist.
How to Whitelist an Email Address in Zoho
Because of its enterprise-oriented nature, Zoho does a lot to protect its users from spam emails (which are the biggest source of phishing scams), and it equips them with many effective tools to help them ensure that illegitimate emails are blocked and legitimate emails are delivered.
One such tool is the Zoho whitelist, and this is what you need to do to add a mail address to it:
- Login to Zoho Mail.
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to Anti-Spam List.
- Click on the Email Address tab and then click on Whitelist/Blacklist Emails.
- Click the Add new whitelist email field.
- Enter the address and press the Enter key.
How to Whitelist an Email Address in ProtonMail
ProtonMail is a secure service provider that uses end-to-end encryption to protect its users from hackers and other unauthorized third parties. Built directly into ProtonMail is a smart spam detection system capable of automatic mail filtering.
While ProtonMail’s smart spam detection system is typically very reliable and accurate, it can make a mistake from time to time and place a legitimate message in the spam folder. To prevent this from happening, ProtonMail users can whitelist trustworthy mail addresses by adding them to the ProtonMail whitelist.
When a mail address is added to this list, ProtonMail ensures that all emails sent from it are always delivered to the Inbox folder. If you don’t know how to whitelist an email in ProtonMail, you can follow these instructions:
- Log in to your ProtonMail account.
- Go to the Settings section.
- Click the Filters tab.
- Select ADD NEW FILTER under the Whitelist section.
- Enter the address and click SAVE.
How Clean Email Can Improve Your Productivity
If you’re interested in other features that can help you manage your inbox and reduce the time you spend looking through emails, Clean Email could be the perfect email program for you. Clean Email makes it easy to unsubscribe from your email subscriptions and filter future emails based on personalized preferences.
You can download Clean Email on Mac, Android, or iOS devices for a productivity solution that will help you clean your inbox in just a few minutes. It’s easy to underestimate how much time we spend every day dealing with the countless spam emails and unwanted subscriptions that most mail providers don’t filter out automatically.
How to Send Large Files Via Email — FAQs
What does it mean to whitelist an email?
An email whitelisted address is considered trustworthy, so all messages sent from it reach the inbox even if they contain suspicious links or attachments. Email whitelisting can help ensure that important messages from known senders don’t end up in the spam folder.
How to whitelist an email in the Gmail app?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to whitelist Gmail or any other mail address in the Gmail app on Android or iOS, so you need to log in to Gmail in your web browser and whitelist the email address from there.
How to whitelist an email in Outlook?
There’s no Outlook whitelist. Instead, Outlook users can mark certain senders as safe, which effectively accomplishes the same thing as whitelisting does in other service providers.
Where to find a Gmail safe sender list?
In Gmail, you can find safe senders right along blocked mail addresses. Open the settings page and click Filters and Blocked Addresses. Look for safe mail addresses in the first section, which is titled “The following filters are applied to all incoming mail”.
How do you get whitelisted?
It may be difficult to get whitelisted on certain servers, especially for newer companies who haven’t quite been recognized by the biggest email providers. Here are some quick tips to get whitelisted by potential clients.
1. Provide instructions in initial email – You can tell your subscribers how to whitelist you so that they don’t miss out on your promotions.
2. Include Whitelisting request – There are ways to include whitelisting requests in your messages so that your recipients see it every time.
3. Don’t overdo it – Keep the number of messages reasonable so that servers don’t automatically mark them as spam.
Should I whitelist Yahoo Mail?
In Yahoo Mail, you can whitelist senders by creating mail filters or marketing individual messages as Not Spam. We recommend you add only the most trustworthy Yahoo Mail addresses to minimize the chance of spam entering your inbox.