Why You Should Clean Your Email List
No email marketing list is perfect, and no matter how hard you try, there will be addresses that can’t be delivered or are delivered to the wrong address. When email service providers see that your mailings keep bouncing or that recipients mark your emails as spam, they’ll think your mailings are junk and possibly add your campaign’s email address to a block list.
No marketer wants to reduce the number of addresses on a marketing list. Still, to keep your list healthy and increase the odds of your campaign’s success, you’ll need to clean email list addresses regularly and get rid of invalid addresses.
How often you clean your marketing list depends on the size of your list and how often you add new names to it. This validation can be done as often as weekly for large lists and every three months for small lists. Also, if you find that your open and click-through rates are falling and you’re getting spam complaints, it’s time for an email list cleaning.
If you don’t know how to verify email list addresses, don’t have a staff that does this job, or don’t have the time to do the work yourself, you can pay a service that provides an email address tester. This cost is more than offset by the increase in your campaign’s return on investment. You’ll get more opens and click-throughs when your mailings are delivered to people who engage with your campaign. If you’re unsure about spending the money, an easy way to see how this works is to try one of the free email validation tools that identify undeliverable addresses and spam traps.
Other benefits to email list cleaning are that more subscribers open your mailings and your bounce rate decreases. These increase your sender score, which further ensures that your mailings aren’t marked as spam and that your campaign’s email address isn’t added to a block list.
14 Best Email List Cleaning Services
Many options are available for those who want to take advantage of email list cleaning software. Consider some of these programs if you are looking to improve email deliverability and ensure the success of your marketing campaigns. After you’ve browsed this list, choose the best email cleaning service that will fit your needs.
ZeroBounce is an email list cleaning service that works with a wide variety of email services and will provide you with a lot of important data about your lists. ZeroBounce promises to improve deliverability by lowering bounce rates and removing invalid addresses.
Its email list cleaning tool is guaranteed to provide you with 98 percent accurate results. It does this by flagging emails that will bounce, accounts that regularly mark emails as spam, spam traps and toxic domains, and disposable and catch-all addresses.
There are multiple ways to pay. The free plan offers 100 free monthly validations. Rates for the pay-as-you-go plan start at $16 for 2,000 validations that never expire, and the subscription plan starts at a low $15 a month for 2,000 email credits.
- Good documentation, making it easy to get up and running quickly
- Provides an API so that you can collect addresses from your web forms
- Can add team members to an account, even to free accounts
- May be slower to provide results than other services
- May be more expensive than other services
MailGet is one of the most affordable email list cleaning software packages that you can buy. Because it offers 12 pricing options, you can choose the one that best fits your needs without spending an unnecessary amount of money. If you only need to verify a short mailing list, you can check 1,000 emails for a one-time fee of $4. For larger lists,15,000 verifications can be purchased for $35.
MailGet is easy to use, with a smooth interface that allows you to customize your lists and validate any emails you might send marketing material to. MailGet claims that you will reach deliverability numbers of 99 percent, which is extremely important in the current market.
When you check your list with MailGet, the service runs those addresses through several verification checks. It verifies email syntax, MX records, and server connections. It also removes greylisted, disposable, duplicate, and role-based emails.
- One of the most affordable services
- Simple and easy to use
- Can upload a mailing list and download a cleaned list
- Can take 24 to 48 hours to download a cleaned list
- Cannot get a refund for unused verifications
3. Email Checker
If you don’t want to spend all your time setting up filters to clean email list addresses, Email Checker may just be the perfect product for you. Email Checker offers an excellent real-time verification service for both single and bulk addresses. Bulk lists are processed quickly, taking about an hour to process around 7,500 addresses. Your lists are then stored for 60 days and are easy to access from your dashboard.
Email Checker verifies email address syntax, looks for catch-all and disposable email addresses, and performs mailbox and domain checks. Plus, your data will be safe, as Email Checker also prevents spam or phishing attempts from getting through. The service has been optimized to work with major email providers such as AOL, Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo.
There are multiple pay-as-you-go pricing tiers, starting at $14 for 1,000 credits and going up to $129 for 25,000 credits. You can always buy more credits if you need to check more emails than initially planned. The service also offers monthly subscription plans starting at $10 for 1,000 emails per month and up to $99 for 25,000 emails per month.
- Drag and drop email lists onto the user-friendly dashboard for easy cleaning
- Provides a summary of your results on the dashboard
- Can upload lists in a variety of formats, including CSV, XLS, and TXT
- May be too basic for some marketers’ needs
- Reports may not provide enough information for some marketer’s needs
XVerify is a highly rated email verification tool with a user-friendly interface and a cost-effective pay-as-you-go model. XVerify has a great ability to detect bounces and filter emails that have been known to be associated with spam and fraud. Because it can integrate with your service provider, you benefit from a seamless operation and easy setup.
In addition to ensuring email validation accuracy and identifying disposable email addresses, XVerify identifies spam complainers so that you don’t send your mailings to those people. Plus, there’s an added bonus for marketers that use affiliate marketing. XVerify helps you monitor the quality of the leads your affiliates send to you.
There is no setup fee to use XVerify. Prices start and $500 for 500 verifications and go up to $150 for 25,000 verifications. The more emails you verify, the lower the cost per address.
- Offers 100 free verifications
- Provides detailed and information reports on email status
- Great for smaller lists that how low verification needs
- Can only upload files in CSV format and results are in CSV format
- Lengthy sign-up process and a credit card is required
Bounceless is a nice program that doesn’t require any software installation. You simply upload your mailing list, and the website does the rest of your email list cleaning! Bounceless also offers a real-time API, so you can easily collect valid addresses from your web forms. Plus, you can keep your marketing efforts current by connecting Bounceless with your favorite email marketing platform, including Mailchimp, Hubspot, and Constant Contact.
Bounceless claims a 99% accuracy rate through its email list cleaning service. It will also check the syntax of the emails as well as the mailbox and domain, ensuring that you are benefiting from one of the best email list cleaning services.
With structured pricing, you can verify 2,500 emails for $19 or up to 2 million emails for $1,899. There truly is an option for any size company that is looking for an email list tool.
- Offers 100 free credits for you to try the service
- Talk to a live person when you contact support
- Detailed reports show you what is right and wrong in your list
- Sometimes support can be slow to respond
- Time to clean a list can be slow compared to other services
DeBounce can help verify your mailing list with just a few clicks of a button. DeBounce has all the email validation features you’ll need to minimize bouncing and get rid of spam traps, disposable emails, catch-all domains, and duplicate email addresses from your marketing lists.
It is a highly trusted program that not only integrates with Mailchimp and other platforms but also removes unwanted emails from your lists based on your preferences. DeBounce also offers an email verification API and customizable reports of your results. Bulk email verification makes DeBounce quick and easy to use, even if you are verifying on more difficult mail servers.
The online portal allows you to pay only for the services you use, with 5,000 verifications costing $10 and 5 million verifications costing $1,500.
- Offers a team account
- Download a full report to check what has been cleaned
- API shows smooth and clean results
- Bounce rates may still be higher than expected
Bouncify is a service that ensures your email reputation will remain strong and that you won’t be added to block lists or suspended lists. You will benefit from reduced bounces and increased deliverability. It features cloud-based hosting, and you can access your database from iOS, Android, or your computer.
With plans starting at $19, there are options for small and large companies alike.
- Offers 100 free verifications
- Test single emails, bulk lists, or in real-time with the API
- Provides a quality analysis of your list
- Customer support is lacking
NeverBounce offers bulk email list cleaning, real-time email verification, and automated list cleaning. When you upload your list, no matter what the size, NeverBounce cleans the list and gives you a clean list. It guarantees that you’ll be able to deliver up to 99.9% of these emails. The API can be added to your lead pages, registration forms, and POS terminals, making it easy to collect addresses. You can also connect to your email provider and clean lists automatically.
NeverBounce uses a pay-as-you-go pricing model, and the more emails you have, the lower the cost to verify each address. Get 1,000 verifications for $8 or 25,000 verifications for $125. You choose the number of verifications you need, up to 1 million. There’s also a subscription plan, with costs at $10 per month for 1,000 addresses and 25,000 emails for $99 per month.
- Quick turnaround for list cleaning
- One of the best accuracy rates in the industry
- Pricing can be a bit expensive for some
9. Captain Verify
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use list cleaning service, check out Captain Verify. In addition to providing services that clean up address lists and improve email deliverability, Captain Verify uses secure verification that complies with GDPR. When you upload your list, you’ll receive a report that shows whether an address is valid, invalid, unknown, free, risky, or disposable.
Prices are $7 for 1,000 email checks and 25,000 verification is $75. You choose the number of verifications you’ll need.
- Pricing is affordable
- High accuracy rate
- Speed could be improved for larger lists
Clearout can provide you with a clean list by performing more than 20 validation checks on each of the addresses in your mailing list. Check your list in real-time or upload a list for bulk verification. Clearout offers a 98% accuracy rate and 24/7 customer support. It is GDPR compliant and uses military-grade confidentiality.
You’ll find pay-as-you-go pricing, a monthly subscription, and an annual subscription. You’ll pay $21 for 3,000 credits and $145 for 25,000 verifications with the pay-as-you-go pricing. A monthly subscription starts at $31.50 for 5,000 credits.
- Offers 100 free credits
- Connect Clearout with Mailchimp, HubSpot, Zapier, Salesforce, and more
- A monthly subscription plan can be costly for some
Byteplant has been in business since 2003 and has gained an international reputation for offering effective and cost-efficient email solutions. Byteplant’s email validator performs a variety of checks for address syntax, DNS and MX records, disposable and catch-all addresses, and greylisting. You can either upload a list for cleaning or use the API for real-time verifications.
Byteplant offers pay-as-you-go pricing and monthly subscriptions. Buy 1,000 credits for a one-time price of $6.90 or for a monthly subscription price of $5.90. 25,000 verifications cost $172.50 as a one-time purchase or $147.50 if purchased as a monthly subscription.
- Clean a 1,000-address list for a free trial
- Connects to SAP, Salesforce, HubSpot, Mailchimp, and more
- Sometimes validations take longer than expected
Emailable claims a 99% accuracy rate, one of the most accurate in the industry. You can upload your lists in bulk or automate verifications to reverify your list every day. Emailable also offers an API so that you can check addresses you collect from your web forms. Along with determining the deliverability of your mailings, you’ll receive real-time results and the ability to export selected addresses from your cleaned list.
If you only need a specific number of verifications, the pay-as-you-go plan is $30 for 5,000 credits and $125 for 25,000 credits. If you have recurring needs, the monthly subscription is $25.50 for 5,000 credits and $106.25 for 25,000 credits.
- Simple and easy to use
- Results are provided lightning fast
- Seldom shows false positives
Kickbox offers testing, monitoring, and optimizing services for your mailing lists. Along with email verification, Kickbox provides deliverability tools to help your mailings land in your subscribers’ inboxes, monitor blocklists so that you can respond to potential issues, improve the content and design of your messages, and secure your mail streams.
The pricing structure is based on a pay-as-you-go model. If you’re looking for 1,000 verifications, you’ll pay $10. For 25,000 verifications, you’ll pay $200.
- Offers a 30-minute free consultation
- Customer support is available and helpful
- Deliverability tools cost extra
When your budget is tight, check out EmailListVerify. This cost-effective service offers a budget-friendly price with a high accuracy rate. And it’s easy to get started. Upload your list and within a few minutes, download a clean list. EmailListVerify also offers free tools, including an email health checker, blocklist checker, email extractor, and MX Lookup.
Choose either a pay-as-you-go plan or a monthly subscription. If you pay as you go, 1,000 verifications will cost you $4, and 25,000 verifications will be $49. Monthly subscriptions start at $139 for 5,000 emails per day.
- Offers 100 email verifications for free
- Integrates with Mailchimp, Hubspot, Aweber, and more
- May take too long to validate lists
Marketing Services that Also Offer Email List Cleaning
Sometimes you need more services than what a dedicated email list cleaning service can provide. Look into one of these services when you’re looking for a service that provides your other marketing needs and knows how to check if email is valid.
- SendinBlue: SendinBlue offers an all-in-one service for your sales and marketing needs. You’ll find tools to help you craft the perfect email messages, communicate with customers with SMS, offer chat support on your website, stay organized with a single team email inbox, and much more. Sign up for a free account to give it a try.
- Mailgun: Mailgun claims to be the leading email delivery service for businesses worldwide. You’ll find tools to help you create your campaign, send bulk or transactional mailings, validate email addresses. Sign up for a free three-month trial before subscribing.
- Constant Contact: Do you need help creating and managing your contact lists? Give Constant Contact a try. You can categorize contacts with tags, segment contacts, and integrate your lists with other contact management tools. Constant Contact also offers email marketing tools that help you create mailings, track email deliverability, post social media ads, and build contact lists. Start a 60-day free trial; no credit card is required.
- Pabbly: Pabbly is another all-in-one marketing service that offers solutions for automated workflows, email marketing, form building, email verification, and billing and subscription management. It’ll cost you $29 to try the service for one month.
- Snov.io: Snov.io is a sales CRM tool that helps you generate leads, automate your campaigns, research your competition, improve your website rankings, and find funds for your startup. Snov.io also integrates with other sales and marketing tools, including HubSpot, Salesforce, Asana, Slack, Google apps, and Zoom. Get a forever-free plan that includes 50 monthly credits and 100 drip campaign recipients if you want to try the service.
If you are involved in mass email marketing campaigns, it is essential to find at least one email list cleaning service that gives you the ability to eliminate invalid emails, improve productivity and deliverability, and protect your business from spam and fraud. These programs will undoubtedly make you more efficient and save you from manually sorting through thousands of mail addresses.
Email List Cleaning Service – FAQs
How do I clean up my mailing list?
By using a high-quality email list scrubbing service, you can ensure that invalid mail addresses will be removed. You can then be assured that your target audience will receive your marketing messages rather than be sent to spam folders. Many of the email list cleaning services offer pay-as-you-go options, so you only need to buy the required number of verifications for the specific size of your mailing list.
Does Mailchimp remove duplicate emails?
When you import a contact, Mailchimp performs an automatic scan that checks to see if there are any duplicates in your database. However, Mailchimp will not remove duplicate emails that already exist across multiple lists, so that is something to look out for. It won’t allow you to add duplicates but keep in mind that it doesn’t delete existing ones.
What is email list hygiene?
Email list hygiene is the practice of keeping your mailing lists clean and updated. Generally, that means removing inactive or invalid mail addresses from your list – also known as scrubbing. A solid email scrubbing service can help keep your list clean and free from clutter.
What does scrubbing a list mean?
Scrubbing is the practice of removing invalid email addresses from your mailing lists. If you have too many inactive or invalid subscribers, your deliverability numbers will go down and you’ll often be marked as spam. By scrubbing your lists of these bad mail addresses, you’ll get a better reception for your marketing campaigns. Scrubbing services are vital for any company that participates in mass email campaigns.
How much does it cost to clean an email list?
The amount you’ll pay to clean up your mailing list will depend on the number of addresses you want to verify, how often you check your lists, and the email list cleaning tools you choose. Some services offer a free account that allows you to either test the service or verify a set number of email addresses. Fees may run as little as a few dollars a month to several hundred dollars or more.
How do you clean up old email lists?
When you clean up your email lists, you’re removing any addresses that don’t accept incoming mail, fake addresses, addresses that your subscribers no longer use, and addresses for spam traps. To find these invalid addresses, look for soft and hard bounces, spam email addresses, and addresses that use the wrong syntax. To make this job easier, choose the best email cleaning service that provides all the tools you need to get this job done.